Saturday, March 27, 2010

Desert Days: Comtesse Natasha



What could be a better combination than Natasha Poly and Paris Vogue? Not too much at all (well, perhaps looking like her...) The Russian supermodel features on the latest cover and spread that was shot by Inez van Lambsweerde and Vinoodeh Matadin somewhere in the dunes of the African desert.

I looove the styling of this shoot, and how many of the trends of the past few seasons have been interpreted in a way that so perfectly fits the location. I especially love all the draping- but not in the way I usually do- all the colour, the clash of prints and embellishments is just gorgeous. Dohti pants, while fashionable now, did- and still do- serve as staple basic for desert travelers... everywhere. The heavily beaded neck pieces and stacks of jumbled bracelets aren't too far removed from what you might imagine adorning the local women of Cairo's market bazaars. Although I'm not too sure how often you'd see couture wandering the desert paths, I love that these contradictions exist at the same time as all the similarities. Oh, and I'm loving Isabel Marant's "Dana" fringe canvas boot from her spring collection- a follow on from the freakish success of her original "Ottway" studded ankle booties. Favourite look? The overtly-embellished Lanvin romper tucked into the aforementioned Marants. Not sure if it was intentional, but featuring Moroccan born, Israeli-raised Elbaz's creation in this ethnically inspired shoot? Genius.

Too bad I'm no longer in Paris otherwise I would've strolled down the Rue de Sevres just off St Germain de Prés, to my local marchand de journaux, and picked up a copy for my morning perusal. Until then, there's always airmail... and inflation.













I first stumbled upon this spread on the blog of super-stylist Monica Rose - definitely worth a look over. She's amazing.

Photos from fashionising.com

No comments:

Post a Comment